Burr Puzzles

RichAE91

Burr Puzzles

Post by RichAE91 »

Well this morning i got my Tiros 18 piece 180+ move burr (150 to remove the 1st piece) and i have to say WOW!! it really is amazing ive spent about 8hours playing with it so far and still havent managed to get the 1st piece out although i do think i was very close having managed i think about 120 moves but then it all went to hell and i got lost and spent the next 2 hours trying to back track to the start so i can start afresh!

So i started this topic as i couldn't find one solely for burr puzzles worthy of recommending to others and i have to say Tiros is an amazing puzzle as i've never had this much trouble trying to assemble a burr let alone disassemble one!!
R1
Ex: Br V2 - O
LE: Ti (SE) 08-50 - O

Ex #88:
CE Assembled: Bu - O, Gr - O, Br - O, Ag - O, Au - C, Ti - O
LE: Or - O, LM - O,

Obs: Bl V1 - O, Bl V2 - O, Bu Pro - O

R2 Voyager #88
a-maze-ing

Re: Burr Puzzles

Post by a-maze-ing »

120 moves and counting, that is an incredible ability you have Rich!
However after seeing you 'do' some burrs at MPP5 I must say this does not come as a surprise.

You may enjoy reading this:
http://www.puzzle-place.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=48
Extreme #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN
Limited #14: OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN OPEN STAMATIC
bluesign2k
Site Admin

Post by bluesign2k »

Ah, so you managed to get one then?! You did pretty well on my Tiros at MPP, it took me a good while to get it back to start. It is without doube the hardest burr I've tried as yet, still havn't managed to get it appart but I keep having a go every so often and manage to get a bit further :)

Glad you're enjoying it! :D
Puzzle wiki:
Puzzle Place
|11SE: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1deadAGv2repairAUwaitingTIopen
11LE: BLopenRopenORopenHMrepairLMPU
25: BUopenGRopenBRopenAGv1openAGv2openAUopen
Ob: BUopenGRopenBLopenBLv2openRD
Minirepair
1st to open a ReVoMaze
RichAE91

Post by RichAE91 »

a-maze-ing wrote:120 moves and counting, that is an incredible ability you have Rich!
However after seeing you 'do' some burrs at MPP5 I must say this does not come as a surprise.
well burr puzzles are my favourite kind of puzzle except for maybe Revos!!

and as of 1:30am i had piece number 1 out

and somehow i managed to put it back to the start instead of pulling more pieces and its now 3:33am and im back at the 1st piece release point and determined to finish before i sleep!!
bluesign2k wrote:Ah, so you managed to get one then?!
yeah i managed to get a slightly damage (minor nicks and scrapes on the hidden parts and some minor marks on the serpent wood plus sunlight damage to the yellow pieces) 8x8x8cm (very small compared to yours sits in the palm of my hand very nicely) but it works great and thats all that matters!!
bluesign2k wrote:You did pretty well on my Tiros at MPP, it took me a good while to get it back to start. .....

Glad you're enjoying it! :D
really? from playing with mine i thought i only managed about 20/30 moves on yours in the mpp and i thought i left it about 5 moves from the start when i gave up but my memory must be playing tricks on me lol!

and yes im thoroughly enjoying it and even if i hadnt enjoyed the mpp it would have been worth the trip just to stumble upon this beast of a burr!!!
bluesign2k wrote:It is without doube the hardest burr I've tried as yet, still havn't managed to get it appart but I keep having a go every so often and manage to get a bit further :)
and yes definitely the hardest burr ive ever played with and theres just so many places to get stuck on it there are some very devious moves in the solution that ive found so far !!!
R1
Ex: Br V2 - O
LE: Ti (SE) 08-50 - O

Ex #88:
CE Assembled: Bu - O, Gr - O, Br - O, Ag - O, Au - C, Ti - O
LE: Or - O, LM - O,

Obs: Bl V1 - O, Bl V2 - O, Bu Pro - O

R2 Voyager #88
TheWaddler

Post by TheWaddler »

Sorry for digging up old posts but I'm really into burrs at the moment, especially the really hard ones. Greg Benedetti's Odd Repartition was pretty tough for me. Though, I did made the silly mistake of asking for it to come disassembled, therefore had to cheat by using BurrTools (which is a great piece of software btw!!) to get it together.

Anywho, I happened to notice this thread and I'm thinking of getting myself a Tiros from Arteludes.

I might also get a Cannich as it looks tough also. Can anyone recommend any other good ones from Arteludes, while I'm at it?? ;)
The Waddler's Puzzling Blog

--R1 Collection--
Open:
[BU01099][GR01556][BR00471][OR00149][R00019][TI00045][BlobV2][BluePro]
In Progress:
[CU00042]
Unopened:
[AG00185][AU00145][LI00149]
Ordered:
Aqua
Indigo
--R2 Cosmic Series (Voyager Set #42)--
Still Waiting:
Mercury
errol

Post by errol »

Hi Everyone!

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but right now I couldn't imagine a better one :) I'll attach a picture of the burrs I just recently discovered in the attic. My father must have bought those back in the 70ies/80ies and now I'm utterly lost.

I only have 11 pieces - and as John from puzzleparadise already pointed out, it seems like I have two differen (?) 6 piece-burr-puzzles with one piece missing? If that was the case - which of the above pieces should make a complete set? I don't even know where or how to start with solving it, but at least that would give me a clue on how to proceed :) I assume it's a cross-burr-puzzle...?

Any help appreciated and thank you so much :)
Cheers,

Errol
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

I'd say stick the pieces into burr tools, and see what it spits out. Should be easy enough, and may give you multiple possible solutions based on the 11 pieces.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
errol

Post by errol »

Thank you very much for that awesome hint - I never even thought something like this existed. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow! Cheers, Errol
TheJuggler

Post by TheJuggler »

Thanks to Rob Stegmann, here's the answer...

"You have pieces: 3x 1024, 512, 188, 2x 1, 824, 2x 975, and 832.

I know of no 11-piece assembly using conventional burr pieces, regardless of length. The closest is the 9-piece "Avenger" sold by Puzzlemaster:
http://www.puzzlemaster.ca/browse/wo...er/137-avenger
But this uses a non-standard piece.

Using subsets of 6 out of your 11, you can make the standard six-piece burrs called "Cross of Marseille" (1, 188, 512, 832, 975, 1024) and the "Yamato Block" (1, 188, 824/975, 1024 x2).
A missing extra 188 prevents you from making both simultaneously. So, perhaps this is the set of pieces for two burrs and that piece is missing. "

Hope this helps.
open open open open open open open

http://puzzling-parts.thejuggler.net/
errol

Post by errol »

it's quite late here (4am) and i've been trying to get any results from that burr-tool - you've been once more of incredible help :) i'm looking forward to getting at least something solved tomorrow, thank you very much!!!

Return to “Other Puzzles of Interest”